Also consider the Nikon Monarch 5.  They're the best bang for the buck that
I know of.  I've recommended them to several beginning birders who are very
happy with them, and I bought a pair for my wife (not really a birder, but
sometimes accompanies me).  I also use them as "kitchen" binoculars for
watching bird feeders.  At $299 for 8x42 and $329 for 10x42, they're hard
to beat.  They have very close focus, decent field of view, and enough eye
relief for people who wear glasses.  They're also light and compact for a
42mm lens.

--Ken Copenhaver