Hello birders,

My apologies for the potentially off-topic post, but I thought birders might
want to know about a birding trip I'm leading to the Lower Rio Grande Valley
of Texas.

Needless to say, it's a spectacular birding destination and April will be
the perfect time to experience both resident species and plenty of migrants.
And who knows, maybe the Northern Jacana hanging out at Santa Ana will stick
around for us!

For more information you can visit the North Branch Nature Center website -
http://www.northbranchnaturecenter.org/nbncbirds.html or email me at
[log in to unmask] Or even better, give me a call at the
number below.

And check out Bryan Pfeiffer's recent blog post, if you're looking for some
enticement!

http://bryanpfeiffer.com/2016/01/06/life-in-flight-in-the-rio-grande-valley/

Best, Chip

Chip Darmstadt, Executive Director

North Branch Nature Center

(802) 229-6206

www.NorthBranchNatureCenter.org <http://www.northbranchnaturecenter.org/>

NATURALIST JOURNEYS - Starting Friday, January 8, 2016 at the Unitarian
Church of Montpelier
Homo naledi: A new human ancestor from the Cradle of Humankind in South
Africa
In 2013, six women scientists squeezed through the twisting passages of
Rising Star cave, South Africa, descended to a depth of 100 feet, and there
excavated over 1,500 fossils from a previously unknown human ancestor. This
unprecedented collection of ancient human bones -the largest ever discovered
on the continent of Africa -represents at least 15 individuals from a new
species of early human named Homo naledi. Dartmouth College Anthropology
Professor Jeremy DeSilva has been working on these fossils and will present
what we know about these early humans and how we know it.