This afternoon I decided to take advantage of the recent bout of "real winter" and take a stroll on a section  of the now frozen LaPlatt river here in Hinesburg. Lots of Coyote tracks to ponder but It was mostly quiet bird wise until I came across a low lying shrubby  area along a bend in the river. Within 5 minutes I was able to count 52 American Tree Sparrows which was more than twice the number we had counted for the entire Hinesburg CBC  three weeks earlier . Encouraged by my good fortune, I continued  another half mile or so up stream where  I reached another section with similar habitat. Stopping to ponder the wisdom of crossing a sketchy section of river ice, I heard a familiar series of chip notes -  but ones I hadn’t heard for many months. If it had been July I  would not have doubted what first came to mind - Common Yellow Throat! Sure enough, with a little pishing,  there it was .Wow , that will brighten your day! Although no perfect looks, i didn't get a hint of a mask  so I’m guessing a female.  Would love to figure out what this bird is eating to survive our now snow covered, frozen landscape.
Paul Wieczoreck
Hinesburg