 Tyler,
I concur with your idea of photographing large flocks to later view them on the computer.I  spend two months each winter in Costa Rica and last year I visited an old cat fish farm that still had two ponds filled with water, attracting about 3,000 Blue-winged Teal.  I photographed the pond in three different sections.  When I viewed those photos on my computer I was thrilled to see ONE Green-winged Teal rising up out of the water and showing full color .  I then searched for a Cinnamon Teal tucked in there, but no luck.
I'm going on a trip on Saturday to search for the Jabirus.  Perhaps I can join in your fun photo challenge and submit something to VT. Birding from the wetlands down at Rancho Humo.
  Martha Pfeiffer, ocotal , G-CR