My personal experience, derping around on the Coolidge Range ridgeline,
is that the LT frequently becomes impossible to locate in winter, once
the snowpack becomes deep enough to hide all trace of the trail and with
blobs of snow on the sides of trees that look like white blazes, but aren't.

I'd think any crew that is not completely familiar with the route would
have to expect to get lost /repeatedly/, say, half a dozen times on a
45-mile stretch, esp. considering the plan to go so long in the dark
with no sleep. I find it hard to see the target 36-hour completion time
estimate as particularly realistic, and my understanding is that last
year's first trial hike, indeed, went a lot slower than expected.