From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sue Gerth
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 3:43 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: CHAT: building a new library

I have only been in my position a few months, and I'm trying to implement small changes in my hospital library.  It's pretty small, so I doubt I will have anyone sleeping here, but I make sure I always have candy bowls out, and I've put out adult coloring sheets and colored pencils for people to stop in and chill out.  I'm planning on putting up some posters on the walls that will warm the place up a bit, and rearrange seating.  I've also set up a small spot for people to pick up paperbacks for free.  As a previous bookseller/store assistant manager, I have heaps of books to share.  As I read them, I bring them in and leave them on the shelf.  I am a big believer in making the library a space that is comfortable, yet a good place to work and relax even for a short time.