	*Office of the President
*

	February 24, 2016

To:      University of Vermont Community

From:    Tom Sullivan, President
               David V. Rosowsky, Provost and Senior Vice President

RE:       Appointment of William Falls as Dean of the College of Arts
and Sciences

We are delighted to announce the appointment of Dr. William Falls as
Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, effective March 1, 2016. His
appointment follows a national search generating applications from more
than 100 highly-qualified scholars representing a diversity of
disciplines from leading national and international higher education
institutions.

Dr. Falls earned his undergraduate degree from Bates College, and his
Ph.D. from Yale University. He joined the University of Vermont Faculty
in 1998 and was appointed full professor in 2010.  Before his July 15,
2015 appointment as interim dean of the College, Dr. Falls served for
nine years as chair of the Department of Psychological Science, one of
the largest, most intellectually diverse and active academic departments
at UVM.

As evidenced by his service as department chair and interim dean, and
confirmed by the national search, Dr. Falls is a highly-productive and
well-respected educator and scholar. We have every confidence that his
vision and leadership will further the accomplishments of the College’s
outstanding faculty, and enhance its emphases on academic excellence,
diversity and faculty and student success.

We wish to thank the faculty, staff, students and others who served on
the Search Committee ably chaired by former Provost and Professor of
Geology John M. Hughes.

We are very pleased by this opportunity to work with Dr. Falls during
this exciting time at the University of Vermont. We invite you to join
us in congratulating him.  Thank you for extending your fullest support
to him as the new dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.

Cc:      University of Vermont Board of Trustees
             College of Arts and Sciences Board of Advisors

*OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT*
349 Waterman Building
85 South Prospect Street, Burlington, VT 05405
(802) 656-7878 • [log in to unmask] 	Equal Opportunity/Affirmative
Action Employer