[log in to unmask]" alt=""> Office of the President

February 24, 2016

To:         University of Vermont Community

From:    Tom Sullivan, President
              David V. Rosowsky, Provost and Senior Vice President

RE:       Appointment of William Falls as Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences

We are delighted to announce the appointment of Dr. William Falls as Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, effective March 1, 2016. His appointment follows a national search generating applications from more than 100 highly-qualified scholars representing a diversity of disciplines from leading national and international higher education institutions.

Dr. Falls earned his undergraduate degree from Bates College, and his Ph.D. from Yale University. He joined the University of Vermont Faculty in 1998 and was appointed full professor in 2010.  Before his July 15, 2015 appointment as interim dean of the College, Dr. Falls served for nine years as chair of the Department of Psychological Science, one of the largest, most intellectually diverse and active academic departments at UVM.

As evidenced by his service as department chair and interim dean, and confirmed by the national search, Dr. Falls is a highly-productive and well-respected educator and scholar. We have every confidence that his vision and leadership will further the accomplishments of the College’s outstanding faculty, and enhance its emphases on academic excellence, diversity and faculty and student success.

We wish to thank the faculty, staff, students and others who served on the Search Committee ably chaired by former Provost and Professor of Geology John M. Hughes.

We are very pleased by this opportunity to work with Dr. Falls during this exciting time at the University of Vermont. We invite you to join us in congratulating him.  Thank you for extending your fullest support to him as the new dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.

Cc:      University of Vermont Board of Trustees
            College of Arts and Sciences Board of Advisors

OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
349 Waterman Building
85 South Prospect Street, Burlington, VT 05405
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer