Josh Lincoln and I spent the day birding Essex County. Although we had the
usual suspects of Purple Finch, Pine Siskin, Gray Jay, Blue Jay, Tree
Sparrow & Goldfinch in 'The Basin' Our luck picked up along the Granby road
with Ruffed Grouse, 2 flocks of Bohemian waxwing (each with 7-9 birds) and a
Northern Shrike in Granby, followed by 20+ Evening Grosbeaks just west of
Bloomfield on Route 105. At the parking lot at Moose Bog both crossbill
species, Junco and R.B. Nuthatch. Along the trail we quickly found 2
Black-backed Woodpeckers and 2 Gray Jays, Red Crossbills & White-winged
Crossbills all standing at about the same place. We noticed one White-winged
female with nesting material and got off a handful of 'documentation' shots.
Other birds were Brown Creeper, Raven, B.C. Chickadee and probably around 50
Pine Siskins.

The Northern Shrike gave me (at Josh's suggestion) a chance to do a test
between my Nikon P900 83X (point and shoot camera 2000mm) and my digiscoping
system of Swarovski Scope, Nikon DSLR with 28mm lens tripod and
adapter.(also set to about 2000mm) This because the Shrike agreed to remain
perched atop a branch limb 300 feet away for the length of setting up the
equipment. I posted the results at the link below along with other P900
shots of landscape and Gray Jays and the documentation photo of W.W.
Crossbill with nesting material. I am becoming impressed with the P900 as a
birder's 'documentation' camera!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blackpoll1/

Tom Berriman