Ok, I am having database issues (CK, I'm looking at you) and firewall issues (thanks, IS!), and so perhaps am more testy than usual today, BUT... Yesterday an RN came to me via email and asked for some help. Sure, no problem. And then I read her assignment parameters and  wanted to scream. WHY do nursing instructors do this to bridging RNs and nursing students? Her assignment requires that this be a quantitative, nurse as first author, primary research study published between APRIL 2015 and current date in a nursing journal.
My RN patron, knowing she will have to live with this article for the entire semester (apparently they anatomize it), wants something interesting, preferably in her specialty. But here's the thing: that time frame is SO narrow, it precludes her preferences and she is now "stuck" with an informatics article or a holistic theory instrument development article by an NP.

I've railed against the 5 year "rule" here before, but that looks positively generous compared to this nonsense. Nursing does NOT publish these kinds of studies in any kind of high volume. I searched 3 nursing journals before I found anything, and by that, I mean searched the tables of content. I gave up attempting to wade through PubMed or CINAHL, since all I had were parameters and no subject (her preferred topic was a washout).* When and how can we educate nursing instructors on this topic? I am sure (because this RN said this to me on the phone, as we discussed her needs), that here is yet another RN turned off by research; another one who will now just go through the motions, jump through the hoops, and never think about nursing research again.
It's maddening.

*I'm sure there's probably a "better" way to find these articles. If there is, I don't  know it and I'm happy to learn.

Eleanor Truex BSN, RN, MLIS
Medical Librarian, Lakeshore Region

Presence
Saint Francis Hospital
355 Ridge Avenue | Evanston, IL 60202
Office: 847.316.2460

Presence
Saint Joseph Hospital
2900 North Lake Shore Drive | Chicago, IL 06057
Office: 773.665.3038

www.presencehealth.org<http://www.presencehealth.org/>
Confidentiality notice: This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. All personal messages express views solely of the sender, which are not to be attributed to Presence Health. Unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply mail and destroy all copies of the original message.