Email from Apple a few days ago, my emphasis added:

"Dear Educator,
In January we introduced a preview of [ http://www.apple.com/education/it/
]new features for our education customers. These features work together to
make it even easier to get iPad into the hands of students and teachers.
We’re continuing to expand our preview to more customers and are excited
to confirm the Classroom app is now available for [
https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1085319084 ]download from the App Store.
In April, we plan to expand the preview of Apple School Manager to
everyone so that you can test Managed Apple IDs and Shared iPad. And if
you have an existing VPP or DEP account, you will be able to access your
devices and content using Apple School Manager.
Because these new features integrate with your existing infrastructure,
you’ll want to make sure it is ready to support the new features in iOS
9.3. We recommend that you review this [
https://support.apple.com/kb/HT206177 ]article to understand the system
requirements for these education features and how to get your school ready.
We're excited about these new features and can’t wait for you to start
using them in your school.
Apple Education Team"

From the article:
"System Requirements
Managed Apple IDs will be created using Apple School Manager and will
require one of the following:
	   An iOS device running iOS 9.3 or later
A Mac running OS X 10.11.4 or later
Shared iPad requires a Managed Apple ID and one of the following models
  with at least 32 GB of storage:
iPad Pro
    	 iPad Air 2
    	 iPad mini 4"