Carole,

I am a fan of LibreOffice.  One of the great things (apart that it supports
most Microsoft open/save file formats, can be used on Mac, Windows, Linux
and is Free) is that you can save/export as a .pdf.  Within that
save/export dialogue, you can specify a password to open as well as a
password to edit.  You can set a very complex (random 20+ characters) that
does a superb job at high level encryption...

Anyway, that is the way I have been creating secure .pdf files for quite
some time...and it is relatively easy...

Cheers.

Keith