Thank you Bill Gaidys.

It should be pointed out that the history of the VBPA includes the fact that we organized the first member auctions primarily for the purpose of getting better prices than what were being offered at dairy sale barns - where buyers were used to paying cull dairy prices.

As our sales grew over time, they became the standard for market pricing for sellers of quality beef.  We have added new market pricing tools which supplement the sale data.  We have helped newcomers and experienced cattlemen alike learn classic and new techniques to maximize the value of their investments.  Our cattle have become competitive in the REAL beef world, as evidenced by the excitement and prices at last Fall's sale in Pennsylvania.  Our members continue to enjoy REAL market pricing that is in line with other beef cattle sales in the country.

In recent years, some buyers have taken advantage of our (non-profit) hard work for the industry and begun cherry picking from the best producers in the organization, causing a decrease in overall success for the cattle industry for the sake of their own short term and short-sighted profits.

In order to support the on-farm buying/selling desires of the market, we are now holding "board sales" - a standard industry practice elsewhere - where animals are weighed, graded and video recorded on the farm and sold in addition to the animals at our live auctions.  This allows us to offer more animals, drawing bigger buyers and higher prices.  It allows buyers that don't want co-mingled animals to buy on the farm at auction, and the seller has the major advantage of usually ending up with a fair market driven price instead of a no-choice single offer from a direct buyer.

It should also be noted that the sale date is only two weeks later than normal this Spring, for reasons beyond our control.  While Mr. Stannard seems to have a strong need for animals, there are many others with that need; and sellers would be well advised to research the market carefully and make their own decisions about the best way to market their cattle.

Chip Morgan
President, VBPA

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Bob Stannard:

I don't think your use of this forum is appropriate.  If you need animals, feel free to advertise.  Your email undermines the efforts of the VBPA, and overall, I think our leadership is making good efforts  to help us all.

Regards,

Bill Gaidys
Graze and Gaze Farm
Barre, VT 05641