Ebird may be the best option for a life list if you're an international
birder, but for those who dont travel much, or for those who also like to
keep an "ABA" area list, there is a method that I prefer that is far less
time consuming than ebirding. It could take many hours to enter all of your
past bird sightings into ebird to ensure you include every species you've
ever seen.
There is a way to compile an accurate list within 10 minutes. Go to the
american birding association web page and there you can find a link to a
taxonomically updated excel spreadsheet checklist which includes every bird
species ever recorded in North America (north of Mexico, and not including
Hawaii). What I've done is create a new column next to the species name and
for every bird I have seen, enter a "1" in that space. Arrow down the
entire list entering 1 for all your birds and at the bottom, you can do a
sum function that will add all of your 1s and give you a total number of
birds in your list. I hope this is a helpful, new method for some folks.

-Tyler Pockette