From: Jane Stein <[log in to unmask]>
To: VTBIRD <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thu, Mar 3, 2016 12:43 pm
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Citizen Science

The first Mass. Audubon bird walk I went on after suddenly and nearly
violently falling into awareness of birds in middle age, the trip
leader, Wayne Peterson, kept pointing out the plants in the area we were
walking through and what kind of ecosystem they grew in and what kind of
birds ate from them and at what time of year, etc.

Naive as I was, I expressed amazement. And he laughed and said, "If you
think you can just study ornithology and not have to learn botany and
entomology and geology, you're very much mistaken."

Jane

On 3/3/2016 11:23 AM, Barbara Powers wrote:
> In the latest Bird Watchers Digest there is an article by Professor Doug Talamy about why it is important to know what birds eat. He states it is important because you can preserve and plant the right habitat to provide a food source for them so they can thrive. Apparently not all insects are of the same nutritive value and each insect has a specific habitat it needs. He has put out a request to birders to take pictures of birds bringing food/insects to their young. You can then submit them to his web site so his scientific team can identify the insect and add the information to a scientific data base. This information will be helpful in creating a better habitat for the birds. He states even a single image will be much appreciated. The web site is whatdobirdseat.com. The instructions may be on the site but in the article it says to upload the digital image. Include your name, date, the location the image was taken, and your best guess as to whether the bird was migrating !
 (spring
or fall), feeding young or overwintering.