I’ve heard from a few people who have also observed behavior on Hawkins Road, near the eagles and the nest, that they characterized as rude, disrespectful, idiotic, shocking and moronic. That nest location is apparently well known - but I’m feeling very guilty about giving a location for the nesting Great Horned Owl. Many birders already knew about that long-established nest, but it’s possible that photographers who aren’t also birders and might be more fixed on “the money shot” than the birds didn’t know about it. It would take a long walk into a restricted area, or a cold boat ride through restricted waters, to get close to the nest, but I guess either is possible. If anyone sees someone where he or she shouldn’t be, please remember the advice of Fish and Wildlife officials: Get photos of the people, their car, and their license plate. And contact the Dead Creek F&W office at 802-759-2398. There might not be someone there right at that moment but they’ll get the message soon.

Thanks!

Maeve Kim
Jericho Center