We suspect a pair of Hooded Mergansers are nesting near one of our ponds.  They courted/fished/napped together in our big pond off and on for a week or more but now we see only a male feeding alone.  Since the male wanders off when the female is on the nest, and since they are one of the early nesting ducks, we hope they are nesting and wish them luck.  We will be careful not to disturb them.

Barbara Brosnan
Weybridge

-----Original Message-----
From: Vermont Birds [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kent McFarland
Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2016 11:15 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [VTBIRD] season of sensitive breeding species

It’s that time of year when we are apt to find some amazing nesting birds – from Bald Eagles to Long-eared Owls, and later in the season Common Terns or a rare songbird. So what steps should we take to avoid disturbing nest sites and sensitive species in general? And how does that relate to reporting these birds to Vermont eBird? Read all about it at

http://ebird.org/content/vt/news/ebirding-around-sensitive-species/

Good birding,
Kent

Kent McFarland