This is not from a specific reference but from a number of sources including my experience. The box should be 15 to 30 ft up. To be practical 15 ft high is enough for me. The direction I believe best is west if its in the sun. I would avoid south because most birds have a greater problem with excessive heat. Think of great horned owls nesting in February and realize they can keep the young warm but have no way to deal with excess heat. The amount of shade available may affect the decision. A shady wooded location will probably stay cool.
Last, the location. Kestrel habitat lacking natural cavities. Kestrels like open areas with hunting space for feeding the young. I have seen them in a variety of places including the backs of large signs along the road. Realize the ultimate decision is the kestrels and it may be  about anywhere.
Good luck.
Marv Elliott