Someone on the list reminded me to clean out our birdhouses and I obeyed yesterday.  In one of mine I found two dead tree swallows on the bottom and no nest.  They didn’t appear to have been killed by anything but were just lying whole on the bottom.  Whatever happened must have happened last spring because they were just feathers and bone.  Last spring was rainy and cold about the time I usually see the first ones, around April 13. I seem to remember bad weather down south during migration, too.  I wonder if the combination of a hard journey, the cold and lack of food killed them. ( I woke up a mouse in another one, and I know there had been tree swallows in the third)

We’ve heard a Carolina Wren for most of the winter, and just started hearing his call answered the last day or two.

Janet Warren
Cornwall