Fellow Birders,

Sunday evening, following a spring time ritual, I walked from Moody Road to Maple Drive at dusk in hopes of hearing American Woodcocks and seeing their flight display.  Mid March is when they start to come back to their breeding territories. I did not find any evidence of them this time, but I was surprised to hear another bird calling from the woods east of the Huntington River and the Camels Hump Alpalca farm fields.  In the 10+ years I’ve been walking this route, it was only the second time I’ve heard a Northern Saw Whet tooting persistently from these woods.  February 14, 2012 was the other time I heard one in nearly the same place, leaving me to wonder if it is a resident bird!  (Nice!)

Ali
Huntington