I notified Margaret Fowle at Audubon Vermont about this nest on Hawkins Road last week. She, in turn, talked to VT F&W. Hopefully, the local game warden along with some appropriate signage can keep observers away from the nest. I mentioned this nest to a fellow birder at Fort Cassin. He said that photos of the eagles in the nest are all over Facebook and that many of the intruders are likely non-birders.

Bruce MacPherson
South Burlington

-----Original Message-----
From: Maeve Kim <[log in to unmask]>
To: VTBIRD <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sun, Mar 20, 2016 4:21 pm
Subject: [VTBIRD] nesting GHOW and BAEA

There’s a big nest visible from the Brilyea access to Dead Creek WMA that’s been used for many years by Great Horned Owls in the winter/spring and Red-tailed Hawks later in the year. Right now, there’s an owl in residence. The nest is easily seen through a scope and is in a place where people can’t get close enough to disturb the birds. Pull into Brilyea and park at the first pull-off on the left. Train your scope on the trees across the water. There’s a slight dip in the line made by the tops of the trees. The nest is about 1/3 of the way down a large tree slightly left of that dip. (The tree is a white pine, I think - but my optics, eyes and mind are always focused on the nest and I don’t think I’ve ever actually noticed the tree.)

The second nesting bird I enjoyed today might not be so lucky about being disturbed. There’s a huge messy Bald Eagle nest on Hawkins Road in Ferrisburgh, just a little before the slang. When I went by, there were four parked cars and two more just pulling away. Six people were out of their cars with cameras and big lenses, and two had walked as close to the eagle as they could possibly get without actually renting a truck with a cherry-picker and getting up to the level of the nest. - The nest looks big and not brand-new, though, so maybe the birds have nested  there before and are able to tolerate intrusive humans.

Maeve Kim
Jericho Center