Terry I know several "ultrasound practitioners" in the United States. It is
a job position title that matches their role in the institution for which
they work (advanced practice). There is now an accredited educational
curriculum for the role of Advanced Cardiovascular Sonographer but no
schools have been accredited yet (Mayo is close). In the mean time CCI is
offering a credential with the same name (ACS), the minimum stated
eductional requirement  for which is a high school diploma. I have been
assured by key people at COA-ACS that the exam is extremely difficult and
requires a great depth of knowledge but I am so disappointed that CCI
didn't take the opportunity to require a baccalaureate or graduate degree.
I hope CCI raises the bar sooner rather than later.
Steve