Terry I know several "ultrasound practitioners" in the United States. It is a job position title that matches their role in the institution for which they work (advanced practice). There is now an accredited educational curriculum for the role of Advanced Cardiovascular Sonographer but no schools have been accredited yet (Mayo is close). In the mean time CCI is offering a credential with the same name (ACS), the minimum stated eductional requirement  for which is a high school diploma. I have been assured by key people at COA-ACS that the exam is extremely difficult and requires a great depth of knowledge but I am so disappointed that CCI didn't take the opportunity to require a baccalaureate or graduate degree.  I hope CCI raises the bar sooner rather than later.
Steve