Several birders were lucky enough to see 3 Sandhill Cranes (2 adults and a
yearling) that stopped over on the Windsor Correctional Facility Property
this morning. I chanced upon them in an open hillside field along Marton
Road, where they were foraging ~75 yards away. Over the next 35-40 minutes,
a few other birders assembled, as the birds moved steadily away from the
road. They bugled several times - an impressive and unlikely sound in VT -
then lifted off in unison, headed northward in a straight line, bugling as
they went, and disappeared. Canada beckoned.

I managed to digiscope a few photos, one of which is embedded in my eBird
checklist http://ebird.org/ebird/vt/view/checklist?subID=S29121941.

Chris

Chris Rimmer
Vermont Center for Ecostudies