The Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz for 2016 is coming into the home stretch. RUBL migration into Vermont slowed considerably during the first week of April, presumably due to the unusually cold weather, but is picking up again. Although the number of checklists reporting rusties has increased in the past week, most reports include only 1-6 birds rather than groups of 10-100+ birds that are typical for this time of year.

Thus far slightly more than 100 rusties have been reported during the count period from March 15-May 1. Based on the data from 2014 and 2015 I expect that more than 1000 rusties will be reported in Vermont during migration when all is said and done, so we have a long way to go. In the past two years the peak of Rusty Blackbird migration in the spring occurred during the week starting on April 15.

So let's get out there and find those birds. Every Rusty Blackbird counts.

Bruce MacPherosn
GMAS