From: Vermont Birds [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Snell
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 12:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Killdeer, chapter 10!

Great story Ali. I used to work up on roofs at night with infrared imagers
and it was so easy to see the Killdeers who seemed totally perplexed that I
knew where they were. Even when they flew off the next, the eggs remained
very warm and, to me, visible. The advent of all rubber, no gravel roofs
means less nesting habitat thought U32 in East Montpelier installed a couple
square yards of gravel just to try to attract them.

John

On Apr 26, 2016, at 9:52 AM, alison wagner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Fellow birders,
>
> Snow on the 26th of April has enabled me to find, for the first time in
ten years, the Killdeer nest on top of the 1958 wing-addition of the
Hinesburg Community School! This roof has been habitat for the shorebirds
every year, but they have blended in so well with the multi-colored round
stones, they've always eluded my detection. Regardless of my endless
searching and waiting for a changing of the guard, I've never found them
(like looking for that one jigsaw puzzle piece that MUST be missing). Until
now! Like Horton the elephant, the Killdeer are faithful 100 percent! The
snow is melting on the parent on the nest while it covers the roof around
them and eliminates their ability to hide.

> I've been able to share this with middle school students and the timing is
perfect as they have been learning about natural selection! Questions are
coming out:

> What will happen to the eggs? ( hopefully the parent's body will keep them
warm)

> Can we bring the eggs inside to keep them warm? (it's best to let nature
do the work)

> Will the eggs freeze? What if they die? (the parents will try again).
>
> Fingers crossed they'll all make it through this cold spell and face the
challenges that await the chicks after hatching!