Kestrals and Va Rails... what fun!

Ruth Stewart
E. Dorset, VT

Hildene Meadows & Marsh, Bennington, Vermont, US
Apr 17, 2016 9:15 AM - 10:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments:     40s - 50s.. Sunny.  No bugs.  Generally quiet.
20 species

Canada Goose  15     4 in marsh waters.  11 overfly
Turkey Vulture  6     Probably coming off roost.. circling south.
Broad-winged Hawk  1     probable.  High - circling N.
Virginia Rail  3     1 calling aggressively to east of bdwalk - and close.  15 min. later while backtracking on bdwalk, rail calls continued.  Then 2 birds flushed over grasses - male interactions? - and a 3rd rail called in a different direction then the  2 birds flew.
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1     drumming
American Kestrel  2     Seen along treeline at E edge of field. Fly away bird with barred tail at beginning of my  walk.  Male seen at end of my walk. -  1/2 field distance S of position of first bird
Eastern Phoebe  2     Chase time in and out of lean-to barn
Blue Jay  1
American Crow  4
Common Raven  1     Seen interacting with TVs.
Black-capped Chickadee  2
Tufted Titmouse  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
American Robin  10
Chipping Sparrow  2
Dark-eyed Junco  6
Song Sparrow  12
Swamp Sparrow  2     very vocal
Northern Cardinal  2     heard only
Red-winged Blackbird  26     no females seen

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S29016159

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org/vt)