I was confused about this too.  Last year, I think that we pledged the amount that we wanted to contribute and then later, when they knew how many famers were participating we received a letter (email?) asking us to send the money.  The email from Alan Strong made me wonder if we should just go ahead and click on the link at the end of his email and contribute now.  I went ahead and contributed and got a thank you letter from the Mass. Audubon society.
PS  I finally saw our red belly woodpecker’s mate and confirmed that I have a pair . I think he was alone last year.
Janet Warren
Cornwall