From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kraft, Michelle
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2016 9:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: My rant about not teaching PubMed

Back when I was at a different hospital with medical students (not pharmacy students) absolutely NONE of them had PubMed (nor Ovid or any other database) training.
On their hospital rotations in my hospital they were asked to do research and they were drowning.  I was totally surprised that they got no PubMed training while they were at the medical school.
I called the librarians from the medical school that we got the students and I was told this....

It was felt that medical students don't need to use PubMed in their first two years of medical school education so the librarians focus on other things.

I said fine, but then after 2 yrs you are sending them out to hospitals to do their rotations and they are asked to do research on PubMed and they can't.  So you are sending out unprepared students.  If they don't need it during the first 2 yrs of medical school they definitely need it before they do their rotations. When will it be taught?

Long story short, it wasn't being taught nor was it going to be taught before the medical students came to my hospital.  So I worked with the program coordinators at my hospital to have PubMed class for the students squooshed in during one of their rotations.  It was better than nothing and just like Patti said, every one of them mentioned they wished they had been taught the information earlier.

***Please note this past experience is not related at all to my current experience.

Michelle

Michelle Kraft, MLS, AHIP
Senior Medical Librarian
Cleveland Clinic Floyd D. Loop Alumni Library
9500 Euclid Ave. NA 30
Cleveland, OH 44195
(216) 445-7338
orcid.org/0000-0001-8821-4828