Prior to the creation of PubMed, when Medlars/Medline was only available
to health care professionals for a fee,  I worked as a medical librarian
for many years at many Washington DC area hospitals; NLM; and the US
Public Health Services and it was unfortunate that then most medical
students, young doctors and other health care professionals didn't have
search training and access to the literature--save Index Medicus.

Here at the Saba University School of Medicine--an American
university--in the Dutch Caribbean, I am now the Library Director as
well as the Course Director/Professor for our Research Curriculum
Evidence Based Medicine courses, where I not only instruct our students
on how to search Medline via PubMed and Ebscohost, but also to search
additional evidenced based  databases.  We begin by introducing students
to research study designs, using the PICO formula to formulate good
clinical questions; learning basic search strategies skills using MeSH
and textword searching; and how better a search by filtering the
literature when necessary.  We require all of our students to complete
an evidenced based research paper before they are assigned to their
clinical rotations throughout hospitals in the States.

I've been working out of the country for nearly a decade and it's
surprising for me to discover that U.S. Medical schools are not focusing
on this important matter.  Glad that I have you all to keep me in the
loop.

Regards,

Samuel L. Johnson
Library Director/Associate Professor