From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Irish, Elizabeth
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2016 11:29 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: My rant about not teaching PubMed

Very interesting to read your experiences in the clinical years!

We're integrated into the medical school curriculum in all four years.  The first three years we have our own theme, LaGrange Medical Informatics (LMI).  The first year is foundational and includes PubMed.  Second year focuses on specialty resources as well as advanced evidence-based searching.  In the third year, the first and second years are brought together for their clinical applications with some new material included for good measure!  The first three years are on the transcript as pass/fail courses.  In the fourth year, we are part of one of their required courses, Learning to Teach/Teaching to Learn.  We also have our own elective, Technology in Medicine, for those who are interested in spending two weeks researching a related topic. Technology in Medicine is also on the transcript.

We do similar work with the residents.  Knowing everyone is coming from a different curriculum, over the years we've tried to get a handle on what residents know & what they don't know coming in.  We've done pre-tests, surveys, talked to them, talked to the faculty... it's pretty much all over the board.  Since not every residency has the same needs, we work around that too!

Having said all that, in third year UME we do occasionally hear... "THAT's why it's important!"  :-)

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Irish, MLS, AHIP
LMI Theme Leader / Assistant Professor
Schaffer Library of Health Sciences