Dear Brian,
as many of you have experienced, memory is a bit difficult to predict
from first principles. For GC columns, some small amount of many
compounds can remain on the column for a longer time, contributing to
column bleed. When the same chemical is injected again, a
compound-specific washout effect can replace some of the old material
and contribute to the new peak. This is a bit like water exchange with
the last layer on a metal surface, which cannot be pumped away. However,
these are rather small effects and should be curable with some special
memory treatment (e.g. additional injection of some neutralizing
mixture). The largest effect that bothers most is the apparent tailing
right after a highly enriched compound has left the column, prominently
visible on the ratio trace. The tailing itself is always present (the
memory function is not different for different isotopologues), but the
tailing in this case changes the isotopic composition of the baseline.
This changing baseline is what causes difficulties for the next couple
of eluting compounds and renders quantification a bit more difficult.
Once the ratio trace is back to 'normal' the effect should be gone.
Regards    Willi

On 5/20/2016 18:28, Brian N. Popp wrote:
> Willi and others
>
> I am curious. How long will it take to get rid of the "blank" created
> by analysis of a perdeuterated compound before one can return to
> natural abundance compound specific hydrogen isotopic measurements in
> this system?
>
> Brian
>
> On 5/20/2016 5:35 AM, wbrand wrote:
>> If your D31 palmitic acid is indeed 100% deuterium labeled you would
>> only see mass 4 (D2+) and some fragment ions at mass 2 (D+). Mass 4
>> will be a huge peak, as large as the usual mass 2 peak (H2+) for the
>> non-labeled acid. If you have some hydrogen (protium) left in your
>> palmitic acid, most of it will show as mass 3 (DH+). I suspect that
>> there is probably quite a lot of this, which will saturate the mass 3
>> channel. Moreover, gas chromatography for these H-substituted
>> palmitic acids will be smeared a bit, which is why I would expect a
>> broader GC peak for mass 3. You would probably not see this
>> prominently on the 13C peak.
>> Regards    Willi
>>

>> On 5/20/2016 17:16, Marilyn Fogel wrote:
>>> Are all of the hydrogens in the molecule deuterium? If so I don't
>>> think this is a chromatography issue.
>>> I am not sure how the collector will handle a completely deuterated
>>> compound. Perhaps others will chime in.
>>> Marilyn Fogel
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

> --
> Brian N. Popp, Professor
> University of Hawaii, SOEST, Department of Geology & Geophysics
> 1680 East-West Road, Honolulu, Hawaii 96822
> Office - (808) 956-6206; Fax - (808) 956-5521
> http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/GG/people/gg_profile_popp_b_html

Willi A. Brand, Stable Isotope Laboratory      [log in to unmask]
Max-Planck-Institute for Biogeochemistry (Beutenberg Campus)
Hans-Knoell-Str. 10, 07745 Jena, Germany      Tel: +49-3641-576404
P.O.Box 100164,      07701 Jena, Germany
http://www.bgc-jena.mpg.de/
http://www.bgc.mpg.de/service/iso_gas_lab//