From: gerard olack
Sent: Thursday, 12 May 2016 19:39
To: [log in to unmask]
Reply To: Stable Isotope Geochemistry
Subject: Re: [ISOGEOCHEM] BaSO4 analysis interferences in water samples?

HI Wolfram--

Just to comment on the Ba3(PO4)2.  If you try running Ag3PO4 in a TC/EA type reactor after a full barite run--you'll barely see any signal.  If you clean and repack the reactor, you're fine.  And barites after phosphates are not a problem--and benzoic acids always run fine.  I haven't spent time trying to tease out all the issues--we just run them separately.  If someone wants to try running barium phosphate--keep an eye on yields. Maybe use additives? (microfluorination???--Menicucci, Matthews, Spero, 2013)

Historically the phosphate would be precipitated out as a molybdenum complex, then re-ppt and re-ppt again as the bismuth salt for analysis.  Variations still done today to clean up some samples. Then the isotopers came across an old-fashion gravimetric phosphate analysis that ppt out phosphate as silver phosphate (to measure phosphate concentrations in solution), and adapted that for 18O analysis.  Other metals have been looked at too--sometimes in the re-ppt steps.

In the process, the analysis went from bomb fluorinations to sealed tube (with graphite) to TC/EA.  The bismuth phosphate apparently picks up more water than silver phosphate, so less amenable to TC/EA runs.

Working with silver salts does have it's challenges.  Organic matter may reduce the silver--so it could plate out.  Typically not a problem with most samples.  Silver oxide can also crash out--which is always a potential problem--as is hitting the right pH range.  Oh, and silver nitrate plus ammonium cation--can lead to silver nitride formation.  Contact explosives can always be fun.  (ok, watch concentrations, don't store silver amine complex for long periods, and have NaCl in your waste collection jar to crash out the silver).

We should have a paper out soon--tweaking some of the current protocols so they'll be more robust when working on small samples.

take care,
gerry

p.s. yes, lots of papers--but you can start with (and work forwards and backwards, e.g. Longinelli):
Chemical Geology, 2002, 185, 321-326
Vennemann, Fricke, Blake, O'Neil, Colman

Firsching, F. Henry. 1961. “Precipitation of Silver Phosphate from Homogenous Solution.” Analytical Chemistry 33 (7): 873–74. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ac60175a018.

Baxter, Gregory Paul, and Grinnell Jones. 1910. “A REVISION OF THE ATOMIC WEIGHT OF PHOSPHORUS. FIRST PAPER.—THE ANALYSIS OF SILVER PHOSPHATE.” Journal of the American Chemical Society 32 (3): 298–318. doi:10.1021/ja01921a003.

p.p.s. Ca++ typically removed by ppt with F- (fluorite).