6 Church Street
Rutland, VT 05701
Note my email has changed to [log in to unmask]

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 8:13 PM, Lauren Parren <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

​We, at So. Burlington, are hoping all of you will join us at Dynamic Landscapes on Monday after lunch to explore the Digital Backpack we've begun, based on the transferable skills all VT students will need to demonstrate success, beginning with current 8th graders.  While apparently different from what Patricia has in mind, I'm imaging all roads will lead to the same type of rich resource for learners to: explore content of their choosing, manipulate information to answer their own driving questions, collaborate with like-minded seekers outside of the school, and draw some new conclusions to further learning.  Terms like Personalized Learning are so laden that we have to be clear about what we mean.  Some vendors will have you think that plopping a kiddo in front of a computer and force-feeding them Common Core quizzes will personalize their learning. (I know that is NOT AT ALL what Patricia is encouraging us to consider!)  So, let's look together at our Site at DL and then share our conclusions with the rest of the state.  Thanks, Patricia for bringing this important conversation to light! (And heel well, if that is the right part of your broken anatomy).

From: School Information Technology Discussion <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Patricia Aigner <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2016 1:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: digital backpacks

Hi,
I am somewhat taken by the idea of personalized learning backpacks as part of my tech plan and personalization efforts for children. The concept appears in an ISTE article about personalization. https://www.iste.org/explore/articledetail?articleid=11This also works with our model of MTSS.

Has anyone put together some software ideas for chromebooks that work k12 as "personalized learning backpacks"?

Want to start a sharing process for these ideas?  Maybe in Google?

As an aside, here is a link to a paper by ISTE on personalized learning.  It is a different kind of read about how you get there with resources.

A Guide for Engaging Students with Technology
Product code: PLEARN
ISBN: 9781564843524
Published: 2014
Topics: Personalized learning, Standards, Tools, 1:1
Length: 200 pages

Thanks,

Patricia Aigner
Director of Technology
Rutland City Public Schools
6 Church Street
Rutland, VT 05701
Note my email has changed to [log in to unmask]

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, DC 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at [log in to unmask]. Revised by mandate of the USDA dated March 24th, 2014.
  ­­