I was very happy to see a male hummer visiting our feeder this morning.
However, when I went into the garage an hour later, I heard an unusual
buzzing noise overhead and quickly ascertained that two male hummingbirds
were flying about in the rafters, apparently unable to figure out how to
exit through the wide open door.  I figured if I gave them some time they
would figure it out, but an hour later they were still frantically flying
back and forth, not even close to figuring out how to head for daylight.
Hard to believe that after flying across the Gulf of Mexico and making
their way all the way up the east coast, they couldn't figure out how to
fly out the same way they came in.  I guess hummingbirds are only wired to
go up to escape danger.  So, I finally grabbed a ladder and climbed into
the rafters hoping to shoo them out with a broom.  Didn't work.  My wife
was able to find a fish net, and after a while I was finally able to net
one, which I lowered to her.   She took the net outside, extracted the
hummer and watched it fly away.  The second was apparently so tired by then
that I was able to approach the bird after it perched and pick it with my
hands.  My skills are very limited when it comes to handling hummingbirds,
but I was able to climb down the ladder with the poor guy and put it
outside.  I thought I might have had done permanent damage but after a
minute or two, it revived and took off.  I again have hummingbirds at my
feeder along with a closed garage door.

In the  interest of full disclosure, this episode took place at our summer
place in Maine.  I'm sure Vermont hummers are much more resourceful

Steve Antell