Ken, and others,

Perhaps others who visit this site can provide further details about next
box height, orientation, etc, but what struck me as very odd was the lack
of conifers anywhere to be seen in the general area. In fact, there are
almost no large or dense trees in the area for which to conceal the adult
birds. Also surprising about this nest is that it is so close to the road
and is literally directly above the parking space of a very popular birding
hot spot. The nest box itself faces the road and is probably only about
10-15 feet from the road. No doubt that if these birds have been nesting in
here for the entirety of nesting season, they are already quite accustomed
to human presence. At this particular location, there would be absolutely
no reason for anyone, including photographers, to leave the road to
approach any closer.

I've just put a photo of the bird and the box that it's in on my flickr, if
anyone would like to check it out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/106350684@N05/?

-Tyler