Fellow Birders,

I spent a few early hours out with Curt Alpeter in Charlotte this morning. (LOVE this time of year) Some highlights were: 3 Orioles and 2 male Bobolinks. The Bobolinks flew in close for front-row viewing and we watched them maneuver around branches to perch side by side and sing a duet, and then fly up and engage in a sort of bird sparring before flying off. Later, near the end of Garen Road, we came upon a Killdeer in a pasture. Judging by the way it was postured, squatting on the ground with its legs hidden, we waited to see if anyone was under it. One by one, 4 "Mini me(s)" appeared. They seemed to be just a few days old.

Oh yeah, and then there was the one solid gold Golden-winged Warbler! For me, the Golden-winged was the bird of the morning until the Killdeer chicks emerged!

Ali
Huntington