On a North Branch Nature Center bird walk at Sodom Pond in Adamant this
morning we witnessed an incredible fallout of shorebirds. There were
multiple flocks of shorebirds taking off from the marsh, wheeling around and
around the pond and then heading north.

Identification was a challenge as we primarily saw the birds in flight. We
were able to pick out several flocks of dowitchers, presumably Short-billed
- at least 75 of those but maybe over 100. Then were multiple smaller flocks
of peep sandpipers - either Semipalmated or Least. A few birders got some
photos of birds in flight, so we'll have something to puzzle over.

It was quite incredible and quite unexpected here in Washington County.

Go check out water bodies if you can - if there were this many at Sodom
Pond, I would assume there could be shorebirds anywhere in VT today!

Best, Chip

Chip Darmstadt, Executive Director

North Branch Nature Center

(802) 229-6206

www.NorthBranchNatureCenter.org <http://www.northbranchnaturecenter.org/>

 <http://www.northbranchnaturecenter.org/birdfest.html> BirdFEST!
Saturday, May 28, 2016
Fee: $10 members, $15 nonmembers, free for kids
Join us for our 5th annual celebration of birds at NBNC! Featuring bird
walks &
workshops, live raptors, kids activities, bird banding demo, bird house
building, photo contest and much more!