This morning I led a walk at Woodside with several students from some of my birding classes. As always, Woodside didn’t disappoint: multiple orioles chasing each other and squabbling and posing in the sun, a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak guarding his mate as she stuck astonishingly long twigs into a nest, a little Least Flycatcher also busy nest-building, American Redstarts everywhere, etc., etc. But the most exciting event was a minute-long call that froze two of us in our tracks, as I desperately urged my brain computer to speed up and match the familiar noise with a name. Just as I called out “cuckoo”, so did the other woman - and then a Black-billed Cuckoo flew across the path from the pond to a tree near the river and perched there long enough for good looks. It then flew east - so those of you in Essex Junction, keep an ear cocked!

Maeve Kim
Jericho Center