I decided to venture away from Addison Co. this morning in search of the more unusual warblers seen recently in Rutland County. First, I stopped at Route 4 rest stop in search of a Cerulean Warbler. Following some directions from Ken Cox, I bushwhacked my way up the hillside, finally reaching the woodland road and the clearing with small pines. It was just downhill (south) of this clearing that I heard the one and only Cerulean of the day. After some more bushwhacking and scrambling, I was able to get reasonable views of the bird in the treetops. Unfortunately it was fairly active and disappeared after only a few minutes. Other sights were a Chestnut-sided Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, and my life Veery (finally!).  For those that might try for the Cerulean, I would not recommend my methods (there were lots of ticks and many thorny bushes). Little did I know, on the western half of the rest stop is a well-worn trail which leads up to the woodland road and can save you all sorts of difficult hiking. The trail begins at the western end of a chain-link fence.

The next stop was the Buckner Preserve where the Prothonotary Warbler has been seen recently. This one took much less effort than the Cerulean did! The bird was readily singing on the left side of the road. It was in the row of trees lining the river on the left side, just past the end of the pond (which is on the right hand side) with the beaver lodge. The bird was fairly active but provided excellent views as it flit amongst the low branches of the trees.