in Winhall (Bondville, VT).    While reports have been going into e-bird, here's info for those of you not looking there.  It's from Charlie Davis who has been a Loon Watcher for several years:

I saw this morning, May 20, (simultaneously) three BAEA - one mature adult and two adult size, but still in immature plumage. They were all perched in nearby trees, down in the cove where you see Stratton in the distance. At that time, they were all moving around every few minutes, presumably looking for breakfast, and there may have very well been more of them. Only one loon this morning, so the apparent pair on my last visit, were probably still in transit to some other place. (Charlie posted in e-bird picture of 3 loons - with a bit of interaction.  One clearly was an intruder.)

 I had talked to a lady hauling her kayak out of Gale several weeks ago, and she told me about seeing four bald eagles that day, and thought they were nesting down where I have seen them on two subsequent outings. I have mostly stayed up toward the stumps in past years, but after hearing about the eagles, I have been paying closer attention to that end! I think maybe she was right. They seem to be favoring several trees around that cove, and if there is a nest close enough to spot from the water, I am determined to find It.

 There was a nest platform at Gale, but Eric Hansen moved that out of there 2-3 years ago, thinking it might be more productive elsewhere. There are tons of good nesting sites, especially down in the stumpy end in the direction of Magic. I've been reporting on Gale for the loon count for a number of years, so i'm always frustrated by having little if anything to report.  Only one loon this morning, so the apparent pair on my last visit, were probably still in transit to some other place. (Charlie posted in e-bird picture of 3 loons - with a bit of interaction.  One clearly was an intruder.) The one loon this morning circled several times before splashing down, so it very well may have come in from elsewhere to do a bit of fishing.

Is anyone doing an official monitoring of BAEA nests in VT?  If so, who?  and where can I find out where the nests are located?   Rumor has it that there is one somewhere around Ludlow.

Ruth Stewart
E. Dorset, VT