Indeed Larry. It has been wildly successful over the 14 years we've had it,
and it is all because Vermont is filled with a very good team of bird
watchers and naturalists that work together. Thank you everyone.

Many of your questions can easily be queried on Vermont eBIrd. Let me take
a crack at some of these to get you and others going. It is not only fun
collecting the data, but it is a lot of fun looking at it too!

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 10:50 AM, Larry and Mona Rogers <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> E Bird is a great success in Vermont.  I don’t know how many sightings
> have been reported over the years – they must run into the thousands.  I’m
> sure Kent could tell us.

​You can see the stats here:
http://ebird.org/ebird/subnational1/US-VT?yr=all

​199,166 checklists submitted and counting. Who is going to get the fabled
200Kth checklist!?
That would represent 385 species of birds, all species every reported from
VT. For sure number of birds counted...it is likely in the millions. ​

>         While E Bird is unsurpassed for finding information on individual
> species with dates, counts and locations, other data could probably be
> mined from its vast data base.  For instance:
>
> •       What are the top ten locations in Vermont for generating E Bird
> reports?  I might guess the West Rutland Swamp, Mount Philo, Shelburne Bay,
> Mount Mansfield, Pearl Street in Brandon, etc., but I really don’t know.
> The list could be titled “Vermont’s Ten Most Birded Spots”.

​You can see that here:
http://ebird.org/ebird/vt/subnational1/US-VT/hotspots?yr=all&m=
​

> •       Which locations in Vermont have generated the largest number of
> individual species reports?  Are there places where over 150 species have
> been sighted?  100?  75?

​Way over. Again, you can see some of that here:
http://ebird.org/ebird/subnational1/US-VT/hotspots?yr=all&m=
​

> •       Which Vermont birders are the most active E Bird contributors?

​You can see that for any year or overall in the Top 100 list. Check it out
here:
http://ebird.org/ebird/top100?locInfo.regionType=subnational1&locInfo.regionCode=US-VT&year=2016
and you can query by county too.
​

> •       What are the ten rarest birds spotted in Vermont?  I think of
> Whooping Crane, Painted Bunting, Black-Tailed Gull, Golden-Crowned Sparrow,
> the currently visiting Prothonotary Warbler and several others.  Selection
> criteria might be single species sightings from a specific location over a
> relatively short time interval.

​A little harder, but start with the bar chart here:
http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?reportType=location&bMonth=01&bYear=1900&eMonth=12&eYear=2016&parentState=US-VT&countries=US&states=US-VT&getLocations=states&continue.x=39&continue.y=15&continue=t
​

> •       At the other end of the spectrum, what are the most commonly
> reported species either by number of E Bird reports containing them, or by
> total count of individuals?  Chickadee, House Sparrow, Crow, Starling, Blue
> Jay?  The list might be called “The Trash Birds of Vermont”.

​Again, the bar chart helps a bit. But sorting by high count here helps get
you that:
http://ebird.org/ebird/subnational1/US-VT?yr=all&m=&rank=hc&hs_sortBy=count&hs_o=desc

There are lots of tools to mess around with like this. I hope you all will
explore the eBird data and share some of your cool findings on the list.
Also, don't forget, the awards page for the Vermont eBird County QUest has
some results too! Check it out at
http://vtecostudies.org/wildlife/wildlife-watching/vermont-county-bird-quest/awards/

Happy eBirding,
Kent​