I agree, Farah.  Tone

From: Farah Chung [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2016 11:59 AM
To: Anthanett C. Mendoza <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Promised to be an author...not even acknowledged!!!!

Hello Layal,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience and agree with Tone that sadly, unethical practices happen often around authorship in academia.

I work in med ed/HPE so our author guidelines follow the Int'l Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE) guidelines: http://www.icmje.org/recommendations/browse/roles-and-responsibilities/defining-the-role-of-authors-and-contributors.html#two

You'll see that in addition to data collection and analysis, one must be part of the intellectual part of the drafting of the paper (and okay'ing it for submission) to be counted as an author.

In your case, you should have been given the chance to partake in the intellectual drafting of the paper if you were promised authorship. But as it stands, if you did not get a chance to participate in intellectual input to the paper, you technically would be acknowledged (for data collection / analysis), but would not technically be an author.

Again, I do not mean to say that you don't deserve authorship. The first author should take the lead and especially if he promised you authorship, should have given you the chance to contribute intellectually to the paper (and hence be an author). At the least, you should definitely be acknowledged.

Farah