On Windows, at least, any files that come from web browser downloads or Outlook at treated as untrusted. Any such files are tagged with an Internet Zone Identifier Alternate Data Stream (a.k.a “Mark of the Web” or MotW ). Office applications will automatically disable any macros or other content in such files. One must actively bypass security warnings — which many folks do without hesitation, I know — in order to actually run the content.

I don’t know if attachments received using Thunderbird are tagged with the MotW. If not, perhaps moving to Outlook for email would be a helpful countermeasure. On Windows, anyway.

Additionally, it might be a good opportunity to emphasize the importance of reliable backups, or using central file services so that backups are taken care of without user intervention.

--Geoff

Geoffrey Duke

802.656.1172 | Sr Systems Administrator | Enterprise Technology Services | University of Vermont