Sam,

The medical sales teams are in Cuba now. Here is Sonosite making the high-level connections in Cuba. Sonosite works with Siemens, the great military and medical product manufacturer, based in Germany. https://www.asra.com/news/87/to-have-and-have-not-the-ultrasound-revo

Cuba's autism rates are near zero. Soon those rates will skyrocket, just like the USA. Mark my words :)

I agree with you that Cuba's doctors are the equal of their Gringo counterparts. Cuba's Cesarean section rates, for example, are similar to CS rates in the USA, i.e., unnecessarily high. Sonosite will probably use the same sales techniques with Cuban officials that they do in the USA.

It is not that "some researchers have found" ultrasound hazardous. Most modern ultrasound science, the human studies (not just mice, rats and cell studies), find it very hazardous at even low clinical intensity. http://harvoa.org/chs/pr/pr_details.htm

Jim West
NYC

=========
Folks,

One interesting thing about Cuba's medical sciences is that when they see something that has a negative impact on the wellbeing of their people, they stop using it. Their medical infrastructure is NOT driven by big global corporate demands as we see as the norm in the US medical sciences.

So... if ultrasound causes fetal death or mental/physical deformities to the extent that some researchers have found, then Cuba's medical forces will stop using it or- which is the more likely case -find a way to modify the technology to minimize its negative impact.

Remember: Cuban doctors and scientists are not dumb and naive... isolated from the larger science communities, waiting and wishing/begging for Western scientists to come to their rescue and also come to tell them what's "good" science and "bad" science. They have survived and thrived in the medical sciences precisely because they have found ways to keep up with the positive and negative aspects of capitalist medicine and science... and have been very innovative because of the inhumane specifics of the US blockade.

Treat them as intellectual and political equals and understand that they know how to provide worldclass medical service in spite of being an economically impoverished nation under a decades long blockade and several bioterrorism attempts.

In Struggle,

Sam Anderson

rccrcrcrcrcrrccrcrrccrcrcrcrcrcrcrrccrcrcrrcrccr