Cuba leads the world in providing top-quality
medical care for all it's citizens, and it does
this at no differential cost to individuals
living there. In other words, it's free when you need it.

For a relatively poor country, this is an amazing
achievement -- same as with education! -- and
follows from Che Guevara's great speech:

Except for Haiti and Santo Domingo, I have
visited, to some extent, all the other Latin
American countries. Because of the circumstances
in which I traveled, first as a student and later
as a doctor, I came into close contact with
poverty, hunger, and disease; with the inability
to treat a child because of lack of money; with
the stupefication provoked by continual hunger
and punishment, to the point that a father can
accept the loss of a son as an unimportant
accident, as occurs often in the downtrodden
classes of our American homeland. And I began to
realize that there were things that were almost
as important to me as becoming a famous
scientist or making a significant contribution to
medical science: I wanted to help those people.
How does one actually carry out a work of social
welfare? How does one unite individual endeavor with the needs of society?
For this task of organization, as for all
revolutionary tasks, fundamentally it is the
individual who is needed. The revolution does
not, as some claim, standardize the collective
will and the collective initiative. On the
contrary, it liberates one's individual talent.
What the revolution does is orient that talent.
And our task now is to orient the creative
abilities of all medical professionals toward the tasks of social medicine.

The life of a single human being is worth a
million times more than all the property of the
richest man on earth. ... Far more important than
a good remuneration is the pride of serving one's
neighbor. Much more definitive and much more
lasting than all the gold that one can accumulate
is the gratitude of a people.

We must begin to erase our old concepts. We
should not go to the people and say, `Here we
are. We come to give you the charity of our
presence, to teach you our science, to show you
your errors, your lack of culture, your ignorance
of elementary things.' We should go instead with
an inquiring mind and a humble spirit to learn at
that great source of wisdom that is the people.
Later we will realize many times how mistaken we
were in concepts that were so familiar they
became part of us and were an automatic part of
our thinking. Often we need to change our
concepts, not only the general concepts, the
social or philosophical ones, but also sometimes our medical concepts.

We shall see that diseases need not always be
treated as they are in big-city hospitals. We
shall see that the doctor has to be a farmer also
and plant new foods and sow, by example, the
desire to consume new foods, to diversify the
nutritional structure which is so limited, so poor.
If we plan to redistribute the wealth of those
who have too much in order to give it to those
who have nothing; if we intend to make creative
work a daily, dynamic source of all our
happiness, then we have goals towards which to work.(1)

(1) This is an edited and abbreviated extract
from a 1960 speech by Che Guevara, "On
Revolutionary Medicine." The entire speech can be
found in John Gerassi, Venceremos, pp 112-119.  A
discussion of these issues can be found in
Mitchel Cohen's pamphlets, "At the Risk of
Seeming Ridiculous, a true revolutionary is
Guided by Great Feelings of Love: The
Revolutionary Legacy of Che Guevara (June 14,
1928  October 9, 1967)";  "An American in
Cuba";  "The Capitalist Infesto"; and especially
"A Talk in Havana, 2013", all currently available.

So Jim could have framed his concern about
ultrasound and its effect on fetuses -- which,
from what I've read, is a serious concern --
within that context (and he could add
amniocentesis as another potential disruptor of
fetal development). Cuba is steeped within the
Western medical model despite the amazing
advances it has made and access it has provided,
and it would be worthwhile for Jim to appreciate
all of that while offering his critiques.

Mitchel

At 10:08 AM 6/2/2016, you wrote:
>Jim:
>
>You are a consipracy theorist who has a couple
>of very narrow "interests" and on every chance
>repeat your gosple truths.  You do not
>contribute to the discussion on this list but
>simply repeat these "truth" at every occasion.
>Frankly, it is becoming tiresome.
>
>In this case, you insulted an entire people,
>Cubans, who take pride in their medical
>achievements and are international recognized
>for these achievements by stating this gringoist
>ignorant statement that is not based on ANY
>scientific basis but simply on you compulsive
>desire to preach evils of ultrasound as the cause for autism.
>
>Here is your statement: "Cuba's greatest medical
>contribution was being too poor to afford ultrasound machines."
>
>You have NO SOURCE for your claim that autism in
>Cuba is caused by ultrasound use during
>pregnancy. I am willing to bet that you even do
>not have any statistics on when ultrasound was
>introduced in Cuba, when its use became widespread.
>
>Further, I am willing to bet that you have never
>ever studies medical progress in Cuba.
>
>If you were genuinely interested in the issue
>you could start by a simple Internet search or
>even better a library search. Here is a short
>list of what I found on one blog: Our Place in the World which I edit.
>
><http://forhumanliberation.blogspot.com/2015/05/1841-cuba-has-lung-cancer-vaccineand.html>Cuba
>Has a Lung Cancer VaccineAnd America Wants It<
>

><http://forhumanliberation.blogspot.com/2015/06/1882-foreign-firms-to-capitalize-on.html>Foreign
>Firms to Capitalize on Cuba’s Wealth of Scientific Expertise
>

><http://forhumanliberation.blogspot.com/2015/08/1958-cubas-medical-breakthroughs-have.html>Cuba’s
>Medical Breakthroughs Have Caught U.S. Attention
>

><http://forhumanliberation.blogspot.com/2014/11/1620-cuba-is-medical-power.html>Cuba
>Is a Medical Power
>

><http://forhumanliberation.blogspot.com/2014/10/1573-in-medical-response-to-ebola-cuba.html>In
>the Medical Response to Ebola, Cuba Leads the World Governments
>

>Next time you speak, consider thinking first: Do
>you know what you are talking about.
>
>Kamran
>

>On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 9:58 PM, Jim West
><<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Kamran, I must remind you, the topic is Cuba's medical achievements.
>
>Why isn't Cuba applauded for its near-zero autism incidence?
>
>That is truly Cuba's most amazing achievement --
>when the much of the world is suffering under
>the weight of this incredible epidemic of neurological disease?
>
>The reason for ignoring Cuba's greatest achievement?
>
>Cuba's history, of no ultrasound and no autism,
>supports most modern ultrasound science. That
>science (dose/response studies, in utero)
>describes ultrasound as an extreme prenatal risk.
>
>For example, note the attached image of DNA
>Fragmentation caused by low intensity clinical
>ultrasound. This is a gel electrophoresis plate
>image. Source: "A New Bibliography",
> [...]

    * <http://www.mitchelcohen.com/>A TALK IN HAVANA
    * <http://www.mitchelcohen.com/>REMEMBERING
FR. DAN <http://www.mitchelcohen.com/>BERRIGAN
    * <http://www.mitchelcohen.com/?P=3221>NEW
YORKERS PROTEST STOLEN ELECTION AT THE NYC BOARD
OF <http://www.mitchelcohen.com/?P=3221>ELECTIONS
Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack, a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in.
~ Leonard Cohen