Matt,
I would love to add these to the VT database. If you are willing, can you give me:
- start and end time for each place
- exact location
- area searched or length of walk
- estimate of numbers when you say +

Thanks,
Kent

____________________________

Kent McFarland
Vermont Center for Ecostudies
PO Box 420 | Norwich, Vermont 05055
802.649.1431 x2

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 6:43 PM, Matthew Arey <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Go West Young Man – Pownal, VT, Erving MA and Mt. Wachusett (Princeton MA) 7/8/16

The weather anyplace east of let’s say I-91 was overcast, chilly and damp today. Maine or N.H. were also out of the question, so I decided to head westward to explore a few spots.

Weather conditions were variable. In Pownal, VT it was mostly sunny, warm and near 85 deg.F
Erving, MA a few more clouds but still warm. Mt. Wachusett, partly cloudy and a little cooler (around 75 deg.F).

Indian Massacre Rd. – Pownal, Bennington Co. VT (sedge swamps)

Spicebush Swallowtail (Pterourus troilus) 1 female, worn

Viceroy (Limenitis archippus) 1
Great Spangled Fritillary (Speyeria cybele) 5+
Eastern Comma (Polygonia comma) 1
American Painted Lady (Vanessa virginiana) 2
Appalachian Brown (Satyrodes appalachia) 15+, common
Northern Pearly Eye (Enodia anthedon) 1

Dion Skipper (Euphyes dion) 7 or 8, fresh
Black Dash (Euphyes conspicua) 5+, fresh
Mulberry Wing (Poanes massasoit) 10+, fresh
Northern Broken Dash (Wallengrenia egeremet) 5+
Silver Spotted Skipper (Epargyreus clarus) 3 or 4

Summer Azure (Celastrina neglecta) 2 or 3
Banded Hairstreak (Satyrium calanus) 1

Roadside shrubby sedge swamp – Rt.2, Erving, Franklin Co. MA

Interesting……

Appalachian Brown (Satyrodes applachia) 2 or 3

Black Dash (Eupyes conspicua) 12 to 15, very fresh
*Two Spotted Skipper (Euphyes bimacula) 1 male, somewhat worn
Mulberry Wing (Poanes massasoit) 2 or 3
Delaware Skipper (Atrytone logan) 2, fresh

Mt. Wachusett S.P. – Princeton, Worcester Co. MA

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (Pterourus glaucus) 2

Great Spangled Fritillary (Speyeria cybele) 35+, abundant
Aphrodite Fritillary (Speyeria aphrodite) 50+, super abundant. Never before had I seen this many Aprodite Frits at one place in one day. Dozens upon dozens coursing up and down the moist weedy / grassy ski slopes.

Banded Purple (Limenitis arthemis arthemis) 1 male, worn
Silver Bordered Fritillary (Clossiana selene) 10+
Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta) a few
Common Wood Nymph (Cercyonis pegala ssp.) 3, very fresh
Little Wood Satyr II (Megisto cymela) 10+

Acadian Hairstreak (Satyrium acadica) 3 fresh

Dun Skipper (Eupyes vestris) 5+
Northern Broken Dash (Wallegrenia egeremet) 10+
Peck’s Skipper (Polites peckius) 1 or 2

Sulphurs & Whites – about a dozen or so around.

Enjoy the rain this weekend (we do need it) – M. Arey