Understood. I just feel an exact count would be applicable to the more rarer species which makes sense, but for something like Appalachian Browns or Great Spangled Fritillary (common and widespread in suitable habitat) a close estimate usually suffices.
Matt

      From: Kent McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
 To: [log in to unmask]
 Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 9:23 PM
 Subject: Re: Go West Young Man – Pownal, VT, Erving MA and Mt. Wachusett (Princeton MA) 7/8/16

Of course it is redundant. We database checklists so we can track locations and phenology over time. Redundant is what we want. So we can compare at a future time. Exact counting is NOT a NABA thing. Counting is a standard for any checklisting protocol - from modern eBird to Pollard walks and many many more. If you don't want share it, that is fine. Kent
Kent McFarland
Vermont Center for Ecostudies
PO Box 420 | Norwich, Vermont 05055
802.649.1431 x2