Hi all,

About an hour ago there was a 1st year Baird's Sandpiper at this location.
The birds here move around quite a bit, and there is another really great
chunk of habitat 1-2 km upstream that also seems really attractive to the
shorebirds. Unfortunately the birds picked up and many relocated upstream,
the Baird's included. However, they do move around frequently, and as daily
ebird reports from this location show, numbers fluctuate quite a bit
throughout the day and it really just seems to be a waiting game until
another flock moves back to the closer viewing location. Sadly, I wasn't
really able to get an identifiable photo of this bird, because of the heat
interference and difficulty of getting the camera to focus at the correct
distance, which can be very tricky when photographing a subject on a flat
surface like a mudflat at a substantial distance because there is really
nothing for the camera sensor to lock onto. The best I could do for now was
a photo in which you can see the long wings, larger size compared to the
Least Sandpipers, and a very poor view of it's plumage. By my standards, I
will need a better photo to count it for my photo big year.

Now for directions. Enter 1904 Basin Harbor Rd, Vergennes VT into Google.
This is where there is parking for this location. Now walk about 150 meters
back South along the road and you will find viewing access to the near
mudflat. The distant mudflat can be viewed from the parking area, but you
won't be able to identify anything at that distance, unless you have a
freakish Ted Murin type spotting scope and temperature conditions are
perfect to avoid heat interference.

Good luck!
Tyler Pockette