I have seen on a few occasions a juvenile Cooper's Hawk hanging out with
several crows.  Unlike your situation, periodically all would rise up
from the tree they were in together, with a noisy clamor, swirling
around together, and doing lots of harmless chasing.  Then they'd all
return to the tree, take a break, and after several minutes do it all
over again.

Ian